Player And Goalkeeper Of The Month Awards - November 2015

Wed 9th December 2015 | League Awards
By Ian Templeman



Jordan was one of the players who followed Michael Clegg to Colls from LR at the beginning of the 13/14 campaign and the Colls faithful knew he was a top prospect. This was because he had bagged a brace in LR's 3-1 Boxing Day victory after coming on as a sub.

He initially struggled with injury as Colls hit top form last season and when he was fully fit he couldn't oust a record breaking Mark Battersby from the lone front man role.  However he persevered at the club and earned a 'supersub' tag and as he seemed to score every time he was let loose.

With Colls' promotion to the Premier Division the squad didn't change much but James Kirby arrived which gave the club three quality strikers.  Kirby has been out injured recently and Battersby has been playing in a deeper a role, which has given Jordan the chance he wanted to start every game.  He has relished this opportunity and has really shown what a good player he has become.  He speed is lightning quick, and if the service is there, he can get himself in goalscoring positions.

In November the club played in just three games winning them all. Jordan scored a goal in the 4-0 win at an in-form West Didsbury & Chorlton in the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy.  His goal was the second of the game, when he capitalised on a defender’s error to race clear and slot past the oncoming keeper.

He then scored a couple in the 7-2 league triumph over Silsden and had another disallowed for a marginal offside. Finally he grabbed his 4th and 5th of the month in the FA Vase game with Chadderton.  He is the club’s joint leading scorer with 14 goals.

He showed his affinity to the club by not leaving last season when he wasn't starting, when there were many potential suitors circling.  He really shown what a good striker he is and thoroughly deserves the nomination.



Since joining the club towards the end of October, Matty has made an immediate impact in Irlam colours.

He made his debut for Irlam away at Stockport Town on the last day of October, scoring twice in a 3-0 win, and carried on the good form throughout November.

In his next game at home to Cheadle Town, Matty played his part in an afternoon of end to end football, ultimately leading to a 3-2 victory in the dying minutes of the game.

An early setback saw Irlam go a goal behind, but on the half hour mark, Liam Morrison equalised to peg back the visitors. Morrison then showed a neat touch to provide an assist to Matty, with a simple through ball which was finished perfectly with a neat shot between the keeper’s legs to put Irlam in front.

Matty then turned provider as well as scorer, with two assists helping Irlam to emerge with a win.

The following week at Litherland REMYCA, Matty provided the first and the last talking points of a hard fought 1-1 draw.

Immediately from kick off, he curled a shot goalwards that had the keeper beaten, only for the ball to ricochet off the crossbar - a real let off for the home side.

Indecision at the back for Irlam saw the home side take the lead, but Irlam nearly responded immediately when Boland broke through the Litherland defence only to be foiled by the quick thinking keeper.

As the game moved into the final minute, Boland went up for a challenging cross in the Litherland area and was subsequently knocked to the ground for a certain penalty, which was converted by Cassell at the death to make it 1-1 at the final whistle.

Matty’s final game of the month was at Whitchurch Alport, where three goals in the last three minutes delivered a remarkable late victory.

Working hard up front, two shots on goal and a great header from Matty should have been enough to open the scoring, and in the second header another header goalwards and a snapshot that found the side netting saw him become the main focus of attention for the home side as Irlam chased the breakthrough.

With just three minutes remaining, Irlam’s Christian Lawlor scored the opener, and a minute later, Boland drew the Alport defence high up before sprinting in behind for a run on goal, coolly rounding the keeper before tapping in the crucial second goal.

In the final minute, Matty tried his luck with a shot that was deflected into the path of Lawlor who struck home Irlam's third of the day to make it 3-0 on the whistle.

For someone who only joined the club just over a month ago, Matty’s impact has been immediate and he is a deserving winner of the award.




19 year old Dominic featured in all four games that Congleton Town played during the month, with a record of one win, one draw and two defeats with eight goals conceded.  However, Dominic’s form was impressive throughout and made numerous good saves that kept the Bears in with a chance of pulling off a win in all three games they failed to win.

The month began with a draw against Abbey Hey, in which his acrobatic save with the scores at 1-1 preserved the point that was deserved, but that could easily have been lost.

He had no chance with the first goal against Ashton Athletic at home, turned into the net by his own player, and again good saves from Dominic kept the Bears’ hopes alive until a a late second goal extinguished them.

He saved his best game for the fine 4-1 win against a strong Runcorn Town attacking force, keeping sharp and talented forwards at bay with well-judged tips over the bar and round the post.

The final match of the month saw the Bears lose 4-3 at West Didsbury & Chorlton, but in difficult, muddy and windy conditions Dominic still showed excellent handling skills and could not be faulted for any of the goals conceded on the day.



David played in three of the four games that Remy played during the month, and was part of a squad who earned two wins and a draw from the games.

He began the month with some excellent saves away at Daisy Hill in the Reusch First Division Cup, where he kept his side in the game.  The highlights of his performance were two one on one saves against in-form Daniel Gregory, which kept Remy in a game where they eventually grabbed a last minute winner to move into the next round. 

In his next game, David made some important saves in the home draw against Irlam, and again he made two one on one saves. 

He made an acrobatic save on 80 minutes from a great volley on the edge of the box, and was eventually beaten by a penalty which earned Irlam a last minute equaliser. 

David ended the month by playing his part in the club’s memorable 1-0 win at home to Southport in the Liverpool Senior Cup.

In what was an outstanding result, David kept a clean sheet, and produced a great full stretch save in the last 5 minutes from a chip on the edge of the box, which helped Remy secure a notable victory against the Conference National side.


Our Sponsors & Partners