Remy to host the Purps in play off final

Sat 6th May 2017 | Match Reviews
By Ian Templeman

Litherland REMYCA will host City of Liverpool in the Division One play off final next Saturday, after both sides emerged victorious from their semi final games today.

Remy’s 1-0 home win over Sandbach United and the Purps’ win by the same score over Whitchurch Alport at the Delta Taxis Stadium sets up a cracking derby clash next weekend, after the neighbouring postcodes of L21 and L30 hosted 90 minutes of tense Hallmark Security League action in two grounds just over a mile away from one another.

REMYCA will host the play off final courtesy of their higher finishing league position, and won their semi courtesy of a penalty from Alex Ryan in the 19th minute.

Ryan almost got Remy off to a great start when he hit the post with the first chance of the game in the opening minutes.

But he broke the deadlock on 19 minutes with what proved to be the decisive goal from the penalty spot, sending Sandbach keeper Ryan Cross the wrong way as he buried a well struck penalty into the bottom right hand corner.

Three minutes before the break Remy thought they had increased the lead when Steven Ferrigan's header from a free kick hit the back of the net but was ruled out for offside.

Inevitably as the clocked ticked down in the second half, Sandbach applied intense pressure in an attempt to claw their way back into the game, but the Remy defence held firm amid some nervy moments, none more so than 14 minutes from time when Sandbach struck the post with a volley which bounced out for a goal kick.

But, after six minutes of stoppage time, the referee called a halt to proceedings and celebrations in the home camp began.

Near neighbours City of Liverpool also had an equally close fought encounter with Whitchurch Alport, and it took a close range effort from Matty Roberts just before the hour mark to separate the two sides at the end.

The game got off to an edgy start with neither keeper being tested until the closing stages of the first half, when Stephen Longrigg in the City of Liverpool goal made a fine stop from a cracking Kevin Street effort.

After the break, the home side began on the front foot and John Connolly and Jamie McDonald both had chances before the Purples finally took the lead in the 58th minute.

A ball played into the Whitchurch penalty area was deflected into the path of Matty Roberts, who pounced to fire home from six yards.

Ten minutes later, home defender Allen Weston was the Purples’ saviour with a magnificent saving interception after Whitchurch’s Simon Everall had rounded Longrigg, but Weston’s intervention saved the day.

Moments later, the Purples were handed an opportunity to double their advantage when they were awarded a penalty.

But Whitchurch keeper Danny Read won the battle with John Connolly, the keeper guessing correctly and pushed Connolly’s spot kick away with both hands diving to his left.

The home side saw the closing minutes out safely, and now face their local rivals at the Litherland Sports Park in what is set to be a fascinating and tense play off final next Saturday afternoon.


Our Sponsors & Partners