Weekend round up - Saturday 10th March 2018

Sun 11th March 2018 | General
By Ian Templeman

Although inclement weather accounted for half of the scheduled Saturday fixtures, a total of 55 goals across the 11 games that beat the elements provided plenty of entertainment and talking points.

In the Premier Division, the top two of Runcorn Linnnets and Widnes were inactive, but Runcorn Town took the chance to move into third place with a 5-2 win at Burscough.

Craig Cairns bagged his fourth hat trick of the season for Town, with Harry Brazel scoring the other two Town goals.

Another familiar name in the league goalscorers' list, Theo Stair of Hanley Town, was also in hat trick mode in his side's 8-2 win at Maine Road.

Michael Conlon chipped in with two more and singles from Neville Thompson, Dan Cope and an own goal rounded off Town's highest ever victory since joining the league, a result that moved them into fifth place.

A first half own goal set Congleton Town on the way to a 3-1 win at home to Abbey Hey, with Luke Edwards and William Hasler-Cregg adding further goals after the break.

An own goal also opened the scoring in the Cheshire derby between Barnton and Winsford United at Townfield, giving the Blues the half time advantage, and second half goals from James Rothwell, Michael Taylor and Robbie Hatton rounded off a comfortable away win.

The most dramatic turnaround of the day took place at the Brian Addison Stadium, when Squires Gate led West Didsbury & Chorlton for 65 minutes after Gary Pett converted a first half penalty.

But Tom Bailey equalised in the 85th minute and then clinched victory for West with a penalty a minute from time.

In Division One, Silsden AFC extended their lead at the top of the table to nine points over Litherland REMYCA with a 2-0 win at Alsager Town.

First half goals from Aidan Kirby and Lyle Hancock proved to be decisive for the Cobbydalers, and the defeat leaves Alsager six points outside the play off places.

Litherland REMYCA appeared to be heading for victory at Chadderton when goals from Paul Foy, Colin Quirk, Oscar Billington and Connor Murphy built a 4-2 lead with just over 20 minutes remaining.

But Jack Turnbull completed his hat trick for Chadderton 13 minutes from time to set up an exciting finale, and Aaron Scholes rescued a point for Chaddy with an 89th minute penalty.

Sandbach United moved into fourth place after a 4-0 home win over Daisy Hill. Kris Stockton and James Kirby built a 2-0 lead by half time and second half goals from Stuart Tulloch and James Kirby rounded off a comfortable win.

AFC Blackpool moved to within three points of the final play off place with a 5-0 home win over Eccleshall, Billy McKenna and Alexander Taylor both scoring twice.

A ding-dong affair at the Venue between FC Oswestry Town and Carlisle City ended in a 3-3 draw.

Lee Hoolickin and James Earl gave City a two goal lead by half time, but the game turned on its head in the space of 15 second half minutes when Jacob Farleigh, Lok Yang and Sam Thomas all scored to put Town ahead.

But an 84th minute equaliser from Ryan Errington earned the visitors a point.

At Ruskin Drive, first half goals from Jack McConnell and Jake Pollard saw New Mills through to a 2-0 win over St Helens Town.


Our Sponsors & Partners